FaceTime has gone multi-platform!

If you have a technical interest aside from Windows, discuss it here. This may include other operating systems, hardware and/or software. [Note: This is not a help forum.]
FeistyFelix

FaceTime has gone multi-platform!

Post by FeistyFelix »

An interesting update for FaceTime is called SharePlay. The feature will allow users to stream content with their group of friends or family in a simultaneous manner.

Participants will also be able to control a few playback related features for OTT platforms. Apple has announced the availability of SharePlay API for third-party apps that are in use. It has partnered with major OTT platforms such as Disney+ and HBO Max. The company has also decided to provide support for Apple Music and Apple TV Plus.

One final issue that used to plague FaceTime users was in relation to scheduling such meets when alternatives on Android such as Google Meet and Zoom offered an option to schedule a meeting for a future date and time.

FaceTime Links

We’re not just guessing here. While it’s unclear that Apple will create an Android-specific app, it did show off FaceTime working on a Google Pixel 3 via Chrome.

Facetime on an iPone and a Pixel 3
FaceTime is now accessible via a browser, bringing the feature to Android devices
TNW Conference is back, baby!
Secure your spot today at super early bird prices!

I assume this also means you’ll be able to call your Windows friends too. Heck, you can even call that one person you know that uses Linux!

Naturally, the experience will be better on Apple devices. Many of its best new features probably won’t be available on Android phones, and it’s unclear if you can start a call from non-Apple devices, but it’s still nice to see FaceTime become a little less exclusive.

With the feature, users will now be able to provide other participants with links to join the meeting on a future date, meaning that the woes of preparing for a meeting beforehand have now become a thing of the past.

https://thenextweb.com/news/facetime-co ... wser-links
source: https://telecomtalk.info/apple-face-tim ... es/367332/

MajorSky17
Site Admin

Re: FaceTime has gone multi-platform!

Post by MajorSky17 »

Apple are coming for WhatsApp and Messenger. :lol: This would have been so useful during lockdown!
How to count to 10: 1, 2, 3, 3.1, NT 3.1, NT 3.5, NT 3.51, 95, NT 4, 98, 98 SE, 2000, ME, XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10

C

Post by C »

It only took them like 11 years, but never late then never I guess. I do actually quite like FaceTime tbh

OverseerCave

Post by OverseerCave »

FeistyFelix wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:18 am
and it’s unclear if you can start a call from non-Apple devices, but it’s still nice to see FaceTime become a little less exclusive.
Not yet, but I hope they patch that in :)